Originally from the US, Louie has lived and worked in China since 2005. He founded PureLiving in 2010 after realizing that there was no professional company in China that could provide reliable and accurate advice for people who wanted clean indoor air and water. Louie has over 20 years of scientific consulting experience as a chemical warfare engineer with the US Army, IBM Managing Consultant, and as the Asia Strategy Director for Thomson Reuters’ Scientific Division. He has personally led or supervised over 1,500 environmental and green building projects in China and the US. Louie is a member of the Indoor Air Quality Association, has trained with the US Centers for Disease Control, and is a graduate of Harvard College and Dartmouth Business School. He is a frequent public speaker for radio, television, CEIBS Business School, and industry associations including CoreNet and IFMA.
With experiences from over 6000 projects, we have the know how that you need.
PureLiving is China’s leading environmental consulting company. We have a simple mission: To help our clients test the quality of air and water using international standards, identify sources of pollution, and then eliminate them to create healthy indoor homes and workplaces.
We offer end-to-end services, including pollutant remediation, design and implementation of proven filtration systems, energy recovery, and professional air quality monitoring.
“Your work is fast, efficient, and cost-effective. All in all, our whole school community feels...that we are in PureLiving’s capable hands.”
“We have found PureLiving to be the only environmental testing company that can provide the comprehensive reports that an individual can read (without being an expert in the field) with explanations and solutions.”
“What has impressed me most is the fast turnaround at very short notice...[and] quality of reports, that are both detailed and easy to understand.”
Sarah joined PureLiving officially in August 2014 but has been involved since the company was founded. In her role as Director of Finance and Ope...Read more
Sarah joined PureLiving officially in August 2014 but has been involved since the company was founded. In her role as Director of Finance and Operations, she is responsible for overseeing all financial functions, operations across all offices, and the company’s systems infrastructure. Before PureLiving, she worked at companies including Staples and Bain & Co, covering a range of roles including strategy, marketing, and logistics. Sarah earned her MBA at The Tuck School of Business at Dartmouth and her BA in Japanese Studies with a minor in Mathematics from Wellesley College.
Indah studied Hospitality Education at Switzerland’s Ecole Les Roches, before gaining her Real Estate license in Australia. She has over 10 years’ ...Read more
Indah studied Hospitality Education at Switzerland’s Ecole Les Roches, before gaining her Real Estate license in Australia. She has over 10 years’ experience working across Asia Pacific for international hotel brands Banyan Tree and Mandarin Oriental, and property consultants Savills and Colliers International. She enjoys using her knowledge and experience of the world of wellness to help her clients at PureLiving create healthy living, learning, and working environments. Since joining the PureLiving team in 2013, she has assisted individual homes, multinational companies and international schools improve their indoor environmental quality, working across a GFA of over 250,000sqm.
Pip has a background in HVAC engineering and has been working in indoor environment quality for over a decade. He joined PureLiving in 2015, to bring his expertise in helping improve people’s lives through providing healthy and clean indoor environments. Being a LEED AP (Accredited Professional), he also understands the importance of achieving indoor air quality to a professional, recognized standard, such as LEED, WELL or Active House.
Consulting and Monitoring
Jack is the Asset Coordinator of PureLiving’s Monitoring Department, a role which involves analysing all the various air quality monitors on the market and recommending the best ones to suit different clients. Jack has a background in professional environment, business and economics, and understands the healthcare and social responsibility needs of both private and commercial clients. He is a graduate from the Faculty of Environment at the University of Waterloo.
Graeme is from the UK and has lived in China since 2003. In addition to having studied Mandarin at Sichuan University, he also has Post-Graduate de...Read more
Graeme is from the UK and has lived in China since 2003. In addition to having studied Mandarin at Sichuan University, he also has Post-Graduate degree in Environmental Management from the University of Surrey, UK. He worked at a London-based NGO working on emission-reduction programs to help businesses manage and lower energy usage and waste through energy and waste auditing. He has been with PureLiving since early 2013.
Kimi is an Indoor Environmental Consultant in PureLiving’s Shanghai office. Kimi works to address any concerns from multinational executives about ...Read more
Kimi is an Indoor Environmental Consultant in PureLiving’s Shanghai office. Kimi works to address any concerns from multinational executives about the air and water quality or mild problems in their offices, factories, and residential houses. Kimi holds a Master’s Degree in environmental science and sustainability from Monash University in Australia.
Engineering and Project Management
In his role as Director of Engineering, Tom is responsible for the continued development of innovative solutions for the indoor environment, as wel...Read more
In his role as Director of Engineering, Tom is responsible for the continued development of innovative solutions for the indoor environment, as well as project management and coordinating ongoing after-sales services.
Tom has been working in the built environment industry since 2002 and brings experience from previous roles in construction management, building surveying, and the integration of indoor environmental improvement and sustainable technologies. Tom is a contributor to IAQA, CoreNet, IFMA, and industry publications and forums.Originally from Birmingham in the UK, Tom has lived in China since 2008.
Xu Jun is an Engineer Manager who joined PureLiving after several years as an engineer at the world’s largest air conditioning enterprise. Highly accomplished in project design and management, Xu Jun is also an expert in current technologies and fitting market solutions with client needs. A graduate of Northeastern University, he also leads much of PureLiving’s development of new systems technologies.
Raefer Wallis is an architect, co-founder and CEO of building material research and cloud software group GIGA, and founder of the RESET standard for indoor air quality.
Raefer has been based in Shanghai since 2001 and is behind many firsts, including the first carbon-neutral hotel in Asia, the first eco-regenerative retreat in China and the largest modern rammed-earth building in the world. GIGA also played a critical role in completing the world's first LEED Platinum resort and the first two Living Building Challenge projects in China.
Raefer has co-authored books on modern rammed-earth construction and alternative chemicals assessment. He is a contributor to the United Nations Chemicals in Products program, and his work has been featured by the likes of the Clinton Global Initiative, CNN, CBC and TED.
Alan is an architect and real estate entrepreneur. He was a founding partner of both the Life Hub @ Daning, an innovative open-air mixed-use lifestyle center, and the Shanghai Business Park. He was also a mentor and advisor to the Caohejing High Tech Park Incubator. He has a BA from University of Southern California, and an MBA from Wharton at the University of Pennsylvania.
David is a corporate lawyer at Ropes & Gray LLP’s Shanghai office. He has spent more than ten years in China, advising innovative companies on joint venture collaborations, and licensing to monetize IP and PE/VCs in China investments. He holds a BA from UCLA, his JD from Boston University, and a LLM from Tsinghua University
Michael is CEO of manufacturing and environmental consulting firm Wonder Makers, and an internationally recognized expert on identification and con...Read more
Michael is CEO of manufacturing and environmental consulting firm Wonder Makers, and an internationally recognized expert on identification and control of mold, asbestos, radon, industrial hygiene, and chemical problems. He has written over 200 publications, and is a certified Safety Professional and certified Mold Professional. Michael is also an IAQA Board Member.
We are always seeking talented, skilled and enthusiastic people to join our team.
At PureLiving, we support our people to grow, learn, and develop their skills to reach their potential. We expect you to make the most of opportunities, be passionate about your work, and respect others.
We offer a diverse and challenging environment with great learning and career opportunities for people who share our values.
- THIRST FOR LEARNING
- HVAC EngineerBeijing, ShanghaiCreated: 23/11/2017
The project manager and sales engineer is responsible for the design and, installation and overall project management of our indoor air quality engineering projects related to HVAC, filtration, or energy savings. The successful candidate will work to assess the client’s requirement and scope of work, design solutions, prepare proposal content, present or communicate concept to clients as necessary, coordinate resources to implement, and then project manage or oversee execution to ensure quality on-time delivery. The successful candidate may also occasionally evaluate and integrate new technology into our offerings.
- Project Management
- Prepare tender docs
- Record keeping of HSE related docs
- Prepare and maintain schedules
- Interaction with vendors and clients
- Ensure project quality and safety
- Lead HVAC-related solutions projects including but not limited to:
- Design and implementation of ventilation systems
- Design and implementation of ERV and HRV solutions
- Some administrative duties i.e. preparation of presentations and proposals, some translation work, necessary record keeping etc
- Interact with outsourced service provider partners
- Interact with clients during visits – understand needs, explain solutions, and assess on-site systems to help create appropriate solution
- Support sales staff proposal creation with solutions recommendation and pricing
- Assess new technologies so we can offer clients wide range of best-in-class solutions
- Educational background in HVAC, mechanical engineering or construction preferred
- Experience in project management relating to engineering or construction management
- Possess safety or other industry related professional certificates
- Experience in startup or international company a plus
- PRINCE 2, Agile or PMP qualification
- Friendly and inquisitive personality; pay attention to detail; independent
- Native Chinese speaker with functional written English and able to write proposals and presentations in English
- Proficient in AutoCad, Microsoft Word, Excel, and Powerpoint, experience in using Sketchup a plus
- Fun, team-oriented, likes to learn and solve challenges
- Passion for making a difference and helping clients
Work location & hours:
- About one-third of worktime is visiting clients locally. Remainder of time is spent in office. Occasionally, there may be business travel but fairly infrequently
- Working hours are typically from 09:30-18:30, but our company supports a flexible and project-based work schedule. Work may entail occasional Saturday mornings, but if required, will be offset by time off on another workday.
- Indoor Environmental ConsultantShanghaiCreated: 23/11/2017
Indoor environmental consultant needed to conduct projects. Consultant identifies clients’ needs, delivers a suitable testing plan to determine any problems, supervises the testing, and then recommends appropriate solutions. All consultants should be able to conduct typical audits, but some are also specialists in mold, radon, building engineering, etc.
- Independently lead indoor environmental projects, including
- Home and office indoor environmental “health checks”
- Mold investigations
- Interact with clients during visits – explain process, determine any additional needs, and collect payments as necessary. Consultants will be supported by Sales, who will have previously gathered information about client situation.
- Supervise lab sampling technicians during client visits and conduct specialized sampling as needed
- Edit reports with analysis of test results and debrief clients (report drafts are created by Operations team)
- Recommend solutions (either remediation services or products) to clients
- Additional duties may include sales, thought leadership (speaking to groups or writing articles), and industry-related research
- Calibrate, deploy ,and maintain equipment and technology
- Other tasks as assigned by the Company
- Minimum of 2 years’ experience as industrial hygienist (health and safety), environmental auditor, or environmental consultant; or 3 years of consulting or client-facing project management experience, if non-environmental related
- Educational background in science (microbiology, industrial hygiene, chemistry) or environmental studies preferred; knowledge of standards and protocols
- Experience doing field work – building inspections, construction, scientific work in the field, auditing
- Possess CIH, CIE, or other industrial hygiene or environmental auditor certifications
- Friendly and inquisitive customer-oriented personality; high attention to detail; able to work independently
- Strong verbal and written English (most residential clients are native English speakers); high working level of spoken Mandarin (sampling technicians and commercial client sponsors are usually native Chinese speakers)
- Proficient in Microsoft Word and Excel
- Fun, team-oriented, likes to learn and solve challenges
- Passion for making a difference and helping clients
- Marketing ManagerShanghaiCreated: 22/11/2017
The Marketing Manager works with the Sales and Business Development team members in all offices to drive lead generation through compelling online and offline marketing content, activities and channels. You will also work with the Customer Engagement team to define customer segments and analyze results.
- Create marketing strategy & annual plan based on business strategies and goals to deliver qualified leads within budgeted spend; execute plan, adjusting as needed
- Create marketing communications content for use by Sales and online channels
- Create distinct marketing collateral for our two customer channels (commercial and residential)
- Provide content and input for social media: company website, blog, Facebook, Twitter, WeChat, LinkedIn
- Plan and execute public marketing events such as fairs, exhibitions, etc.
- Prepare bimonthly marketing e-newsletter
- Assess and prioritize media channel partners and work with them to increase market outreach
- Client-facing marketing materials: brochures, flyers, event posters, how-to-guides, FAQs, case studies etc
- Identification of and smooth execution of conference/event participation (booths, presentations, etc)
- High-quality leads generated through key events and other communication channels, including online
- Minimum of 4 years of work experience related to marketing strategy and execution
- Industry experience within the following industries preferred: design and architecture, facilities management, corporate real estate, property management, environmental or testing services, HVAC
- Strong and effective communicator – both written and spoken
- Graphic design and layout experience
- Understanding of importance of brand consistency and experience
- Experience managing teams, vendors, and partners
- Proficient in English and Chinese; must be able to write Chinese at a native level
Personality and fit:
- Interested in and knowledgeable about sustainability, green building, and healthy indoor environments
- Likes working in collaborative team environments with high amount of freedom
- Enjoy meeting others in the same industry and looking for ways to collaborate
- Likes setting your own priorities based on the needs you hear from direct manager and team members
- Strong time and project planning skills so no last-minute rush
- Passion for making a difference, continually learning, and helping people
- Focuses on getting things done, not how long it takes
Working hours are typically from 09:30-18:30, but our company supports a flexible and project-based work schedule; work may entail occasional weekend and overtime work, but if required, will be offset by time off on another workday.
- Monitoring SupportShanghaiCreated: 22/11/2017
- Onsite monitor deployment and client communication
- Onsite monitor troubleshooting and client communication
- Remote/onsite client communication (training, after-service, etc.)
- Remote/onsite troubleshooting (both hardware & software)
- Internal monitor test work
- Related office desk work
- Skilled in oral & written English
- Familiar with common office software and normal computer/smartphone operating system
- Good interpersonal skills and experience with costumers
- Quick-learning and problem-solving skills
- Reliable and cautious
- Working hours are typically from 09:30-18:30, but our company supports a flexible and project-based work schedule; work may entail occasional weekend and overtime work, but if required, will be offset by time off on another workday.
- National Partner Program ManagerShanghaiCreated: 22/11/2017
PureLiving is a pioneer and innovator in the indoor environmental quality and wellness industry and enjoys strong brand recognition for excellence and service. Frequently, decision making is often made not by the end client but by advisors: architects, designers, MEPs, project management firms, consultants, and technology vendors. These advisors touch our clients and would like to incorporate indoor air quality into their offerings, but lack the technical capabilities to deliver. A key part of PureLiving’s growth will be through a network of channel partners who refer, resell, or distribute our offerings into the market.
PureLiving is seeking a talented individual to help manage and grow relationships with such partner organizations. The National Partner Program Manager is a high-profile, externally-facing role focused on developing and executing PureLiving’s partnership strategy. Key responsibilities focus on identifying and developing partnerships, training partners, and managing partners to be an extension of our sales team.
The ideal candidate will thrive in an entrepreneurial environment and has a strong track record of success in consultative sales, business development and/or client management roles. This individual will report to the National Sales Director.
- Business Development - identify and meet with high potential partners. Pitch partnership solutions. Standardize partnership models and quickly execute formal partnerships that achieve maximum mutual value.
- Training – onboard new partners and provide existing partners with ongoing training to make them effective representatives for PureLiving
- Channel partner sales management – provide strategic guidance, monitor pipeline efforts, and support partners as extension of PL sales team. Utilize Netsuite CRM system to track partner information and sales activity/metrics
- Manage partner portfolio – prioritize efforts/investment on partners based on partnership tiering. Encourage partners to increase activity to become higher tier partners
- Work with operations and engineering to manage dealer pricing that incorporates logistics and duties costs
- Work with marketing to get PR value and strengthen brand as well as create co-marketing value for partners
- Explore new cooperative models: franchises, licensing, white-labeling, and JVs, in China and abroad
- Grow the global partnership team
- Proven track record in channel partner management or franchising
- At least 3 years in consultative sales / client management experience, including business to business sales experience within the professional services industry
- Superior persuasive communication skills (written and oral), with a passion for recognizing potential value and structuring relationships to unlock mutual benefit
- Training experience (though as organization grows, this function will be assigned to a dedicated trainer)
- Extremely well-organized and detail oriented with the ability to efficiently manage multiple tasks and relationships concurrently
- Highly resourceful with ability to thrive in a fast-paced, entrepreneurial environment
- BA required, MBA strongly preferred
- Must be fluent in Chinese (oral & written)
- Must be able to speak/read English, but strong written English is priority
- Must have strong proficiency with Microsoft Word, Excel, and PowerPoint
PureLiving, Asia’s leading indoor environmental solutions provider, is opening a new office in Hong Kong, marking the group’s fifth office across Greater China. The new Hong Kong office, supported by a team of environmental experts, will allow PureLiving to better support its clients in Hong Kong and give greater focus to projects in the region.
“Ambient air quality has deteriorated in Greater China, which in turn has led to unhealthy indoor environments,” says Mark Richardson, head of PureLiving’s new Hong Kong office. “As people spend significant proportions of their time indoors, it has become imperative to design and operate buildings to provide clean and safe air. PureLiving enables solutions which deliver this. We have a large portfolio of successful projects across China which provides a solid base experience to continue delivering world class solutions.”
“We are excited to officially be in Hong Kong after having served it for so many years from Shanghai. Having people on the ground will enable us to better serve our existing clients and new clients, both in Hong Kong and southern China. While Hong Kong doesn’t have the same PM 2.5 challenges that Beijing does, Hong Kong does have other indoor environmental challenges due to its hot, humid climate,” says PureLiving President and founder Louie Cheng. “In addition, our deep experience in Green Building certifications is in high demand among many of our clients with properties in Hong Kong."
PureLiving has completed over 6,000 projects since 2010, helping clients improve their indoor environment in both commercial and residential buildings. Along with the new Hong Kong office, they now have offices in Beijing, Shanghai, Chengdu, Suzhou, and New Delhi.
PureLiving is a leading indoor environmental consulting company with a simple mission: to help our clients create healthy homes and workplaces.Our expert team of building engineers, HVAC specialists, and environmental consultants advises clients on air and water quality, mold, asbestos and lead exposure issues and helps to improve their indoor environmental quality through testing to identify sources of pollution and then eliminating them. Our total range of solutions includes pollutant testing, design and installation of cutting-edge filtration systems, monitoring, and odor and chemical reduction.
With operations in six cities across China, Hong Kong, and India, PureLiving is the industry’s provider of choice for assessment, engineering, implementation, and monitoring of indoor environmental quality.
IFMA World Workplace China Conference PureLiving will be at World Workplace China conference on 14th-15th Sep. Hosted by IFMA, the world...Read more